Isuzu mu-X was launched by Isuzu East Africa in Kenya on May 7th, 2018. The sports utility vehicle comes to the 4x4 scene decades after its manufacturer stopped producing the Isuzu Trooper Big Horn in 2002.
The following are some of the features that are standard to the car:-
- 4x4 drivetrain;
- 5-speed automatic transmission;
- Seven seat including driver;
- 4-cylinder diesel engine with turbo and inter-cooler;
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC);
- Traction Control System (TCS);
- Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) with Electric Brake force Distribution (EBD);
- 18 inch alloy wheels and tyres.
Following the success of Isuzu D-Max pick up in the local market, strong enthusiasm was observed on the mu-X launch. Kenya was the first African country to launch the Mu-X, before South Africa and Uganda which will exhibit the model in the course of the year.
Isuzu EA's MD, Rita Kavashe, says that with the mu-x tagged at a retail price of Ksh 6.6 Million, they target the urban dweller market segment which in their view has grown in the last few years.
Formerly General Motors EA (GMEA), the company was renamed to Isuzu East Africa following Isuzu Motors' (Japan) acquisition of a controlling steak (57.7%) in the enterprise. It is the leading motor vehicle assembler in East Africa, selling a wide range of Isuzu vehicles. The company has sold over 80,000 Isuzu vehicles since the first Isuzu car rolled out of its Nairobi assembly plant in 1977.
- Battle for Kenya's SUV market hots up, Standard Digital.
- Isuzu Motors Officially Launches its East Africa Operations in Kenya, Kenyan Wall Street.
- Isuzu East Africa re-enters passenger car market with new SUV model, Business Daily.
- Isuzu finds used car habit curbs East African industry growth, Reuters.